One Week Pre-Departure!!!!!!!

Hello! As I embark on this journey abroad, I determined that the best way to keep track of my adventures and memories would be to blog about it. I am now exactly ONE WEEK away from departure and I could not be more excited! I recently found out with whom and where I will be staying and have been in contact with my future host mom. I feel much more comfortable with living in a nation that does not speak my primary language now that I have been able to talk to the person I will be living with. It is so nice to have these connections before leaving! I have also been able to contact another group of students that is already in Buenos Aires for the first session of the program. They have been able to provide me with some important things to pack and what to expect with the weather, classes, and overall atmosphere of Argentina. One of my biggest fears going into this adventure was not knowing a single person and being alone in a foreign country, but now that I have been in contact with not only my host mom but also my future classmates, I feel much more comfortable.

After seeing Facebook and Instagram posts from my fellow study-abroaders that are already there, my excitement for the scenery, city, and food has increased greatly. They look like they are having an incredible time and I cannot wait to join them! The country looks beautiful. And from what I have been seeing, it seems to be very authentic and not too touristy, which is ideal for my taste. I am very much looking forward to trying Argentinean foods and drinks and will be sure to share some of these experiences in future blog posts. 

Some goals that I have for this month abroad include creating friendships, experiencing things I have never done before, and becoming fluent in Spanish. I would absolutely love to create bonds with the locals and be able to have friends halfway across the world that I can talk to when I return to America. I imagine I will also become very close with my fellow Americans that I will be traveling with, but I would really like to stay in contact with the Argentinians that I meet along the way as well. Second, I want to experience the culture of Buenos Aires as fully as possible. I want to try every food, participate in every tradition and live like a local rather than a tourist while I am there. I recently traveled to South Africa and really enjoyed the authenticity of the culture there; I would much rather experience new countries from an inside point of view rather than simply being a tourist observing from the outside. Finally, I am hoping to overcome the language barrier rather quickly and (finally) become fluent in Spanish. After taking classes in the subject for 6 years now, I feel as though this is my chance to fully immerse myself in the language and culture and be able to speak with fluency. 

While I still have my doubts about being in a new country with new people and a new language, my excitement for this new adventure overcomes everything else I am feeling. I have been thirsting for an adventure abroad ever since I returned from my last one over spring break and I cannot wait to experience all that Buenos Aires has to offer! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Return to America

La Boca

Iguazu Excursion